Food allergen management assessment
When inspecting a food business, authorised officers should refer to the ISFR Principles for inspection of food businesses. During inspections, the following should be considered to ensure food businesses are managing food allergen risks:
Food businesses should:
- Understand the law and the requirements as a food service provider.
- Understand the serious risks posed by poor allergen management control.
- Only accept labelled foods or foods supplied with ingredient information (Product Information Form).
- Be aware of their duty to provide information about food allergens if asked by a customer.
- Be aware of their duty to give the customer exactly what they ordered.
- Appoint a Food Safety Supervisor (as required in that state or territory).
- Ensure that staff are trained appropriately and have skills and knowledge about food allergens. Staff can complete free All about Allergens online training available at: www.foodallergytraining.org.au
- Have demonstrated processes to control allergens when an allergen free meal is requested (from food receipt to food service). The All about Allergens Resource hub has templates that can be adapted: www.foodallergytraining.org.au/resources
The National Allergy Council's All About Allergens Booklet for Foodservice provides information and practical strategies for managing food allergens in foodservice and is designed to support the All About Allergens online training.
Authorised officers should:
- Ask about allergen control at every food inspection and seek evidence of compliance (for example a demonstration).
- Check that staff in food businesses understand their duty to provide food allergen information if asked and give the customer with what they ordered.
- Check food labels for ingredient and allergen information.
- Provide information about allergen management to local food businesses.
- Understand and follow the ISFR Undeclared Allergen Incident and Investigation Protocol for food allergy complaints.
This Audit Tool is designed to help authorised officers assess food allergen management when they inspect food service businesses.
Content updated April 2023